Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Family Mission Statement (part 2) ~ Day 9

Yesterday I talked about why we made a family mission statement. Over the next few days I'll share with you what we put in ours and why. On Friday I will post or final copy and maybe I can figure out how to post a link up so you can share yours too. Would anyone be interested in that?

The first two things are our list are the most important things to us. We knew we wanted these things at the top. A place of prominence both on our statement and in our lives.

1. Jesus is both our savior and our friend.
  • John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  • Luke 2:11 - Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.

    We believe that our God is an almighty God. He is powerful and capable and came to save us from sin and eternal damnation. He also cares for us, and desires a relationship with us. We want every decision we ever make to be made with this in mind. If it's taking us away from the plan God has for us, then its not the right thing to do.

2. Love is the most important thing.
  • Luke 10:27 -  He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
  • 1 Peter 4:8  -  Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
  • 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 - If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
 We believe everything we do should be done in love. The scriptures are overflowing with verses on the importance of love. I think Christians too often forget those verses when they are remembering the few verses on other things (adultery, homosexuality, etc.) . How often have you seen someone publicly and unlovingly condemned for their sin?  Yes, sin should be corrected. But lovingly, with mercy and grace. I hope my children always chose love over condemnation.

I'll be back tomorrow to share more of our mission statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment