Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What I learned from an oatmeal cookie.

{img}
Sometimes the biggest lessons come in the most peculiar packages. Tonight, in the form of a dimpled two year old and an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Earlier this evening after a precious request , "Mom, you make cookies right NOW?" I baked us up some oatmeal raisin cookies. I ate my cookies way to fast. Fighting the urge to have another, I jokingly asked miss Josie for a bite of her cookie. She squealed and hid it behind her. I growled and said "IIiiimmm gonna get that cookie"! She laughed and ran away. I crawled after her like a cookie monster, she continued squealing and hiding her cookie. I reached her and she willingly popped a bite of cookie in my mouth.

We played awhile longer. She gave me more of her precious cookie. I thought, "Why is this so easy for her? A warm fresh baked cookie is a prize. How can she share it so easily?" I realized its for two reasons. 1. She wanted to bring me joy. She knew it made me happy and that was more important to her than the prize she had in her hand. 2. She knows mom is the giver of cookies. Even when we don't have cookies, if Josie really wants one I'll make them from scratch. (She doesn't ask often) She knows when she needs a cookie, mom will provide.

Isn't that the way we should be when it comes to giving to God? Thrilled to bring God joy and confident because we know he is generous and faithful. I've always known of God's faithfulness in that area, but there was something so special and unique seeing the act of giving through a childs eyes.

Thank you, Lord, for your faithfulness and generosity. Help me to have the confidence in you as that of a child. Forgive me for the times I have not given to you joyously. Help me to be an example to my children of a joyous, confident giver. Amen.

Matthew 19:14 New Living Translation
But Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children."

No comments:

Post a Comment